Homemade Pork Dumplings

5:55 AM


I am currently studying abroad in Singapore. When I think of Singapore, it reminds me of the hit film, Crazy Rich Asians. Inspired by the dumpling-making scene, I wanted to try to make dumplings on my own. I was curious to see if I could nail down the technique and create my own authentic dumplings. It didn't look that hard. And now that I've done it, I can tell you. It isn't that hard. You don't have to be crazy, rich, or Asian to create perfect dumplings.



My favorite part about this dish is how versatile it can be. You can choose to cook them with a steamer or pan-fry them as potstickers. The fact that I get options helps. I like knowing the fact that I can switch it up.

All the goodies in the filling

My newest (and coolest) kitchen gadget




Eating homemade dumplings is all the more satisfying. I can't emphasize how great it feels when you eat something that you've worked so hard making. It just tastes so much better. I simply can't explain it. This recipe will show you how to make juicy and tender dumplings with ease. It is simple and fresh. I can guarantee you that frozen Ling Ling potstickers cannot compare. So break out those wrapping skills and let's get cookin'!


Homemade Pork Dumplings 
Servings: 40-50 dumplings 

Ingredients
1 lb. ground pork
1 egg
2 garlic cloves; minced 
2 green onion; chopped
1/4 yellow onion; diced
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. sesame oil  
1 tsp. baking soda 
1 tsp. salt 
1 tsp. ground pepper 
1 package frozen dumpling wrappers 
Bamboo steamer 
Water

Instructions
  1. Place ground pork, egg, garlic, green onion, yellow onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, baking soda, salt and ground pepper in a large mixing bowl. 
  2. With a spatula or your hands (I like to use my hands), mix all of the ingredients together until you get a uniform and well-combined filling. 
  3. To assemble the dumpling wrappers, set aside a bowl of water. Put a tbsp. of the filling into the middle of the wrapper. 
  4. Using your finger, dip it into the water and brush the edges of the wrapper. Make 4-6 pleats down the right side of the dumpling, giving a gentle pinch with each pleat. 
  5. Cook the dumplings
    1. Steamed dumplings: While wrapping the dumplings, bring a pot of water to a boil. Once it starts to boil, place the bamboo steamer on top of the pot. Let the dumplings steam in the bamboo steamer for 15 minutes. 
    2. Potstickers:  In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. Carefully place dumplings in the pan, flat-side down. Pan-fry dumplings for 1 minute. Add 1/3 cup cold water all at once and immediately cover pan. Reduce heat to medium and allow dumplings to steam for 5 minutes. Uncover pan and pan-fry for another 2-3 minutes, until bottoms dumplings are golden brown and crisp. 
  6. Serve alongside a dipping sauce and enjoy! :)
Good Luck,
Em



You Might Also Like

0 comments