Red Grape Arugula Salad

11:53 AM


Salads weren't my thing for a really long time. I only ate my vegetables because I had to, not because I wanted to. An existence without meat? How did vegetarians and vegans do it? How could they possibly survive off of leaves?! Perhaps it's the carnivorous part of me talking, but that was how I felt about a meat-less diet for quite some time. Somewhere down the road, that sentiment changed. 



I can't quite pinpoint the exact moment when I started to love salad, but I definitely know what caused it. I finally came across a good salad. Yes, a good salad changes everything. When the dressing and items in a salad are just right, it changes your mind about this type of dish entirely. Now, I love experimenting with all sorts of toppings, salad bases, and dressings to create salad combinations that I love to eat and share with my friends and family. 





My red grape arugula salad is a re-creation of a salad that I had at an alumni dinner not too long ago. When she put the salad on the dinner table, I was confused. Grapes? In a salad?! What in the [insert explicit word here]?! I was extremely hesitant about the entire thing. You see, to me, only a few fruits can make it in a salad, and grapes were not one of them. 




When I tried this salad, my mind was instantly changed. I even got seconds!! The bursts of sweet flavor from the grapes and the light citrus dressing makes this a refreshing and light salad to have at your dinner table. This is the perfect side dish. If you want to make it to a full meal, add some protein on the side (chicken breast, salmon, fried tofu). I left that dinner promising myself that I would recreate that beautiful salad to enjoy in the comfort of my home. After some trial and error, I've been able to successfully recreate the salad that I had the joy of trying at the alumni's home. Make this unusual grape salad with me in less than 10 minutes. Don't knock it 'till you've tried it! 


Red Grape Arugula Salad 
Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients 
For salad: 
1-1 1/2 cup seedless red grapes; halved
2 handfuls fresh baby arugula 
1 avocado; halved and sliced 
1/4 cup walnuts; toasted and roughly chopped
3 tbsp. parmesan cheese; shaved 

For dressing: 
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest  
1 tsp. olive oil
Salt; to taste 
Pepper; to taste 

Instructions: 
  1. Whisk the lemon juice, lemon zest, and olive oil together until well combined. Add as much salt and pepper as you would like to your dressing. This is all based on preference.
  2. In a large salad bowl, start with the arugula salad. Add the avocado, walnuts, parmesan cheese, and grapes. 
  3. Drizzle the lemon dressing on top of the salad. With a pair of small tongs, toss the salad with the light dressing until it is well combined. 
  4. Serve and enjoy :) 

You Might Also Like

0 comments